Sunday, December 26, 2004

Slightly Above Average

I want to be slightly above average. I want to blend right in. I want people to remember me fondly, but not remember me too much. I want to be a functional cog in a big machine. I want to be a medium-sized fish in a decent-sized pond. I want to know what's going on but not have anyone ask me what's going on. I want to stand out just a little. I want the boss to figure I'm okay because he hasn't heard anything bad about me. I want to have a nice car but not so nice as to call attention to itself. I want to have a nice smile. I want my work to speak for itself but not too loudly. I want to be a good team player. I want to get as many rebounds as points. I want my efforts to contribute to a whole which is greater than the sum of its parts, and I want to be one of those parts the sum of which is greater than the whole. I want to be expendable but hard to replace. I want the guy next to me to make me look good, and I want to make the guy on the other side of me look good. When they interview my neighbors, I want them to say, "He always seemed like a nice guy, but I didn't really know him all that well."

1 Comments:

Blogger Fargus... said...

"I want to be a medium-sized fish in a decent-sized pond.....I want to get as many rebounds as points."

Those are my two favorites. Rock on, my man.

4:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home