Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Stubble

I have a moustache. I've had a moustache on and off for about 15 or 20 years now. Every once in a while I'll shave my moustache off, and I look really bad and I quickly grow it back again. My grandfather had a moustache, my dad had a moustache, and my brother has a moustache. I was well into my adulthood before I could grow a respectable moustache. And it seems that right after I could grow a respectable moustache, it turned gray. Damn. Right now I'm sporting a moustache with one of those soul patches under the bottom lip. Just in case the casting director from Deadwood on HBO calls me. All those cowboy guys have the little soul patch under their bottom lip. All the cowboy guys on television, anyway.

Moustaches used to be really cool. The Beatles grew moustaches. When I was young, I wanted to have a moustache like Chuck Negron of Three Dog Night. Now it seems like the only guys with moustaches are cops, firefighters, bikers, and gay men. At least around here.

Isn't it about time that goatees went out of style? I mean, they were pretty cool in 1993, but c'mon. I still see way too many goatees. I guess technically the goatee is the part that grows on your chin, and a goatee with a moustache is a Van Dyke. Whichever it is, I'm tired of seeing men with goatees. Shave 'em off guys.

Here's a pet peeve: The words "data" and "media" are PLURAL, folks. So, saying "the data shows..." or "the media is..." is incorrect. Datum and medium are singular, data and media are plural. Sheesh, dammit.

Speaking of Data, here's what I don't understand. In Star Trek: The Next Generation, they have an android that looks, acts, and reacts exactly like a human being, can do everything a human being can do, speaks like a human being, and is human-like in just about every respect; yet, they couldn't quite get the skin color right. Yeah, right.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home