Saturday, August 20, 2005

I'm right -- No I'm right -- No I'm right

In the recent past, I've gotten into some pretty heated exchanges with people over the internet. A lot of these exchanges have to do with politics and/or religion, some are about sports and/or entertainment, and some have even been about switchblades, for crying out loud. Sometimes I fall asleep obsessing about these exchanges and wake up plotting my next tirade. Sometimes I use carefully worded and researched tomes to make my point, and sometimes I just let loose a knee-jerk barrage. Ultimately, though, I end up feeling pretty silly.

What a colossal waste of time and effort!

Blogs and internet forums are wonderful places for empty arguments without the threat of actually hearing something that might change your mind. There's no real give-and-take. You don't have to consider anyone else's position. You don't even have to look him in the eye or be in the same room. You can always find plenty of sources on the internet that will support your point of view and link to them as proof of the validity of your opinion.

Is anyone's opposing viewpoint going to cause me to reexamine my own opinions? Probably not. Is my viewpoint going to cause anyone else to reexamine his opinions? Nope. I just hope I'm not as self-righteous and self-absorbed and inflexible and arrogant as some of the people with whom I've had these exchanges. And I hope that they fall asleep obsessing about it, too, and wake up the next morning thinking about what they should've said and what they're going to say next. I'm going to make a real effort to stop doing this to myself and not get into another heated argument with anyone on the internet, trying to convince them that they're wrong and I'm right. Instead, maybe I'll go ride my bike or read a real book or take some pictures or go for a swim or tell my wife I love her.

Obsessive arguing on line is like trying to convince my dog that it doesn't really feel good when he licks and scratches himself down there.

UPDATE: Okay. One last time I just had to tell off one switchblade asshole who's been a pain in my ass for a long time. I had to make nice with him before because we both moderated the same switchblade forum. Now I'm done with him, too. I feel better. Honest.

1 Comments:

Blogger Pastey White Guy said...

Wow... that first paragraph... you really are you son's father.

9:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home